Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Extra Days


While most of the young students I know returned to classes at the beginning of this week, Pearl and Rose received the kind of news I would have loved as a child. The Collegio Yeccan Waldorf where my girls go to school was doing some remodeling over the summer and I guess it took a little longer than they had planned, so my girls got a few extra days off.

I decided to make the most of the extra days.

Monday we went to the Zoo in Leon, GTO. The Zoo in Leon is always a good time.

Yesterday and today we spent time at the Expo Guanajuato Bicentenario 2010. The Expo is located about 10 km. (6 miles) outside of town. We have been watching the workers construct the buildings of the Expo over the last year or so. I like to tell people that the Expo was built with the blood, sweat, and tears of the Mexican people. The worker who threw the beer bottle who's broken fragments hit Pearl (see my earlier post Dark Side) was coming from a day of work at the Expo.

The Expo is made up of many buildings of different shapes and sizes. 3 very large 1 level buildings are the main museums.

The 1st museum houses many different kinds of Mexican art.


Hand stitched art.

The 2nd museum has many different rooms/theaters telling the history of Mexico's struggle for independence.

The 3rd museum, and I would like to applaude Mexico for this, is dedicated to the Earth. This was the favorite building of my girls. Very informative, very interactive, very cool.

The other smaller building include such things as, for the kids, a virtual Congress with voting, more information on environmental isuess. For the adults, free tequila shots and beautiful art from Europe.

Outside of the big buildings there are too many thing to mention. An excellent playground (for lack of a better term), Bellagio style water fountain show, ect...

This morning we had the Expo practically all to ourselves.

When we were leaving today I was happy and I smiled to myself as I thought about how much Pearl has enjoyed the Expo.

I love summer vacations with my girls. I will take any extra days that I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment