Saturday, September 11, 2010

Duke Ellington Big Band

Bobby LaVell soloing on the Tenor as Morgan Price looks on from the Bari chair.
Had a great time listening to the Duke Ellington Big Band at the Bicentanario Expo. Wonderful music played by a swinging group of cats. It doesn't get much better than this. Too much good horn blowin'. Some trumpet highlights were excellent plunger work from all of the cats and Kevin Bryan killin' the Cat Anderson book as well as bringing down the house with his solo on the Ellington classic and 1 of the best big band showpieces of all time Rockin' In Rhythm. The only bad thing about the concert was that the guys only got to play for about 30 minutes. I could have listened all night. I was able to talk with a few of the cats after the show. Always nice to talk with real musicians.
Rockin' In Rhythm. I think this is the most plunger mutes ever used at the same time in Guanauato. The 5 brass players out in front of the band are from left to right, Chris Albert, Kevin Bryan (also the lead trumpet for the Harry Connick big band), Dion Tucker , Ravi Best and Mark MacGowan.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there. Kevin hipped me to this post (and your blog), and I'm digging it. I'm from new york and play trumpet in the philharmonic in mexico city, and love riding my motorcycle up to Guanajuato and its surrounding areas. It would be great to meet up with you next time I'm in the area. Send me an email, motrpt@aol.com.

    Thanks,
    Marc

    ReplyDelete