Friday, December 10, 2010

Piel Seca

Yesterday I was in San Miguel de Allende for the final rehearsal before my concert of trumpet and organ Christmas music at Saint Paul's. I will be playing with the lovely and talented Ann Riley. Ann got her masters from De Paul University in Chicago, the same place where I meet my wife and all-time favorite horn player (see earlier post Horn Player) Michelle.

Anyways, I am looking forward to the concert tomorrow evening. I love playing with great organists. The organ and trumpet combo is a perfect match. I haven't been playing much "classical" trumpet lately, so I have been practicing. It should be fun.

On my return trip I took the left turn onto Piel Seca, my favorite street in San Miguel. I have made enough trips to San Miguel over the last several years and I have turned my random stumblings into a very rudimentary knowledge of the town.

Piel Seca is a street that has stayed with me since the first time I drove down it. The first time I drove down it I had the reaction, "Cool, there's a tree in the middle of the street." You don't see that every day, unless of course you live in San Miguel.

Yesterday, after a fun rehearsal I turned left onto Piel Seca and decided to take a few fotos to show you guys what I am ramblin' on about. Here they are:

The guy in the middle of the Piel Seca is doing the same thing as I.
I hope he puts a foto of me on his blog.
In this foto you can see something pura Mexicana.
Kids, anyone can ride in the back of or on the back of anything.
That's a beautiful street.
I can see how people can fall in love with
San Miguel de Allende.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jason

    It's good to see you posting again. This was one of the first streets I ever saw in SMA, when I visited a friend who lived at the end of it. The tree is so weird and wonderful. You nailed the description, but the name's a little jumbled. Though piel seca is what I experienced most of the time we lived there. Pila Seca, if I'm not mistaken, means dry sink, which of course doesn't make any sense either.

    Wishing you and the girls well from snowy Colorado.

    xo
    L

    ReplyDelete