Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Dark Side

Today the girls had the day off from school so I took them into Leon (about an hour drive from Guanajuato) to check out the Zoo. The Zoo is wonderful. We had a blast! Lot's of great fotos I will post soon.

Since I stopped drinking a few weeks ago, I have been reminded of the very dark side of drinking during the last few days.

DISCLAIMER: The following events can and do happen all over the world.

The first instance occurred when I was walking up Tecolote returning from a gig that was cancelled Saturday night May 1st. Tecolote is a steep "callejone" the word for alley. It is pretty steep and only the upper third or so is accessible to cars. However, you can ride a motorcycle down if you are gutsy enough (there are a few steps). Pizza delivery guys in Mexico all ride motos and are by the very nature of their business, gutsy. As I was walking up I could hear a moto coming down and I moved to the side and watched as the delivery guy raced passed. I turned as he passed and saw him whizz by a family of 3. Mother, Father, and adult Son. The Father, who had obviously been drinking was not to pleased with how close the moto had come. Father said a few words and clearly wanted to fight. The moto stopped just out of reach, like a bird who knows the cat is there and knows he can tease the cat and fly away at a moments notice. This only made the father more irate. He was being restrained by his wife and son. I kept watching as the mans family did their best to hold him back. After a few minutes the father started punching his own son. At this point I had had enough Jerry Springer for one night and continued my walk home.

When I witnessed this I thought about posting something about it, but I don't like to put negative information on my blog. But, after what happened today I thought this small episode would make a good intro.

Today on our return trip from Leon I asked the girls,
"Which road do you want to take?"
There is a toll road and a free road. I like the free road because it is much more interesting.
Rose said,
"Toll road."
Pearl said, (probably because she knows it's my favorite)
"Free Road."

Driving along one of the curvy parts of the free road we came upon a group of 6 or 7 guys walking along the side of the road. Not unusual in Mexico. As we passed one of the guys flipped me off. No big deal, however unusual for Guanajuato. Then I looked just in time to see one of the guys throw a beer bottle right at the car. The windows were open and the bottle broke on the part of the car frame between the 2 passenger side doors. The broken shards of glass continued straight for my beautiful Pearl's face. I turned around to see Pearl beginning to be covered in blood. I brought the car to a screeching stop, got out and took a look at my girls. Pearl was covered in her own blood, Rose seemed more or less OK. The bottle must have been mostly full as there was beer and glass everywhere. By this time many very nice and helpful people were stopping. Pearl later said,
"It was like a parade."

One of the guys who stopped, Graham, I actually knew from town as he use to own one of the better (as stated in the NY Times) restaurants in Guanajuato. Graham said he would stay with the girls since I was determined to go and try to get these guys. I took off running after them. Even after all the commotion I could still see the group of guys walking calmly away. A couple guys drove up and offered me a ride. When we came upon the group I was out of the car before it could stop. I don't know what I was thinking. I know 6 or 7 against 1, even the angriest 1, isn't the best odds. After throwing 1 of the guys down a very steep hill, the rest of the guys ran away like I was Jackie Chan. Ask any of the border patrol how hard it is to run down a few motivated Mexicans over ruff terrain.

Back at the car. The police came and in true Mexican police fashion were there for 3 minutes (tops) and then they took off never to be seen or heard from again. The ambulance came. The medics were very helpful and professional. Pearl just has 7 or 8 small cuts on her forehead. The biggest is a perfectly straight 3/4' cut above her right eye, in her eyebrow. It looks just like a boxing cut.

I am very happy to report that when they went to bed tonight both my girls are more or less fine.

When we were finally on our way home Pearl started asking,
"Was what he did a crime?"
"Yes." I said.
"What would his punishment be?"
"I don't know." I said, "That's the tricky part."
"I think he should be locked up forever." Rose says.

We talked on the subject of matching punishments to crimes for a bit and then Pearl decides with all of the athourity
of a Supreme Court Judge,
"I think we have to get him, when he's not drunk, and teach him what he did was wrong."

Pearl has always said she wants to be a teacher. She has already taught me so many important lessons. I am so proud of her toughness, braveness, sweetness, and compasion. I hope all people (myself included) would be so quick to forgive others after being treated so unfairly.

That's my Pearl girl.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, scary incident. Glad Pearl (and you) are okay. And yep, that stuff happens everywhere. Say hi to the girls and Michelle for me and Lynn.

    ReplyDelete